Answering your letting questions

Tenant FAQ

Moving into a new home can be a hectic and stressful time, and whether you are a first time renter or a pro, there’s bound to be a question or two you may need answered.  We’ve answered the most common questions below, but if you need more advice, just give us a call.

First things first – you have to view the property to see if it will suit your requirements.  If the property ticks all the boxes you will need to complete our application form and undergo referencing.

You will need to supply us with the following information: –

  • Details of your current and previous addresses
  • Proof of your current address
  • Details of your employment
  • Confirmation of your income (if claiming benefits)
  • Identification of who you are (1 x photographic & 1 x postal)
  • We may also ask for bank statements and payslips
  • Contact details of your landlord
  • Contact details of a character referee


If you are in receipt of government benefits, under 21 years old or do not meet the required income to rent ratio, then you will require a Guarantor for your tenancy. The Guarantor will be required to go through the same referencing process as you.

Yes.  You must pay security deposit to rent any of our properties. Normally the required deposit is equivalent to one month’s rent.  The tenancy deposit is used to cover the cost of damage that might incur during the tenancy. Deductions are used to cover such things as the cost of professional cleaning, damage above fair wear and tear, non-payment of rent and any outstanding expenses as detailed in your tenancy agreement.

It is a legal requirement that the tenancy deposit is registered with a Government approved deposit scheme after it has been paid. We will send your deposit to The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (NI), which is a Government backed protection scheme.  Within 14 days we will send you a protection certificate to prove that your deposit has been safely registered.

In the majority of cases your rent will include a monthly amount for the rates on the property.

Your landlord is responsible for insuring the building and their possessions but you will need to take out your own contents insurance.  You can get specialist Tenant insurance from us, just ask for a quote.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your utilities accounts are set up in your name.  It is a good idea to also take meter readings both when you move in and when you move out.

Any work which you wish to carry out to the property must be agreed by the landlord/agent.  You should contact your landlord/agent prior to work commencing and get their consent.

If we manage the property you will need to contact us and we will take care of things.  If your Landlord has decided to look after the property themselves you will need to contact your landlord directly.

No. The landlord and their agents must give you 24 hours notice before entering the property.  They can enter at all reasonable hours for the purpose of viewing the condition of the property.  The exception to this is an emergency.

Any problems that may affect the potential payment of rent should be notified to us straight away.  You may be charged a fee for late payment of rent – details of the exact charges that apply can be found in your tenancy agreement that you were given at the beginning of the tenancy.

Your security deposit is held for the duration of your tenancy agreement.  The deposit will be returned to you in full if the landlord/agent is satisfied that the tenant has complied with all their obligation as outlined in the tenancy agreement and that no damage has been caused to either the premises or its contents.  In the event that any such damage is incurred, the landlord will be entitled to deduct from the deposit any monies required to make good the damage.

We're here to help

We're here to offer advice during every step of the letting process from the initial property search to the day you move in! Please feel free to contact our letting experts who will be happy to answer any questions that you may have.